Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Skin Stuff

Just because my friend Terry asked, for skin we've used several different things. The one I consistently buy is Tree Hut body butter which is available at Walmart. They have a fairly high shea butter content, keep his skin moisturized, cost about $4 a tub, and I don't have to order them from somewhere. They also don't feel greasy like some other products. They also have flavors which are not overally girly. We're using coconut lime right now.

We have not had much problem at all with dry skin. I know some people have struggled with using cheaper products but maybe that's due to their child's skin type or environmental conditions. We do live in a state with very dry winters.

I have used olive oil/African's Best Oil but I would rather use a lotion. The oils spill easily and can splash and drip. Olive oil is good in a pinch. (Or if you're just too lazy to go upstairs to get the regular lotion.)

2 comments:

hannahsmom2005 said...

Just please don't slather him up with vaseline! One of the first hygiene/beauty lessons we did with our girls was "Vaseline is NOT lotion!" They would rub it all over their bodies. Some of them even carry the gigantic jumbo tub with them wherever they go!!! I think we have broken most of them of that habit and gotten them to use shea butter or cocoa butter... much less nasty than vaseline!
It's an adventure huh!! I've worked in the black culture for 7, going on 8 years now and I still would not know how to do all that stuff you are having to learn to do with him! What stories you will have as he grows!!

kayder1996 said...

Yes, Vaseline is a real no no. What amazing about black hair and skin care is that there are quite a few black people who don't know much about it and will recommend things like Vaseline or petroleum based hair products. I'm guessing you're not home when Oprah is on but she had Chris Rock on the other day talking about his new movie, Good Hair. The Oprah show was great and made me excited to see the movie.