Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Locs Week, 4 or 5 or 6

I can't tell you what week we're on in the locking process. And I'm too lazy to go back and look at my first post so I'd know for sure. I think we're starting week 5. Anyway, his hair is starting to loc. Not all the twists but there are some that would definitely take some major combing/detangling/fighting with to get out. It also seems like I am spending less time on it. Today I did a pretty major redo and it only took 20 minutes. The last week or so, I've been able to spend about 5-10 minutes each day adding a moisturizer and retwisting, but I've only had to retwist just a few rather than a lot.
Just a recap in case anyone is interested in product info. I started the twists using Jamaican Mango and Lime Resistent Locking Gel. I'd used Let's Jam gel before but I like Mango and Lime better. I used it for any major retwisting. To retwist, I would spray with Taliah Wajid Bodifying Mist (either full strength or dilluted with water) and then twist. To keep the locs moisturized, we moisturize each morning and night. I have been using two things: Treasured Locks Herbal Hair Balm and Curls by Sisters Smith Butter Me Up. Lately, I've just been using the Butter Me Up. We rarely shampoo with shampoo, just use conditioner as a shampoo. I've been using Neutrogena's Deep Recovery Hair Mask, mostly because that's what I had when Kenson came home and it's worked so I haven't changed. (I actually had a special conditioner for African hair too but I liked the Neutrogena better.)

The other interesting thing is now that his hair is in twists all the time, Kenson's hair is often the center of attention. And he doesn't always like it. People often come up and touch it. (It's always been people that we know but not necessarily people who Kenson knows.) He has started saying very bluntly "Don't touch my hair!" We're working on getting the word "please" in there so it doesn't sound quite so out of sorts. Most of it is due to curiousity. People want to know if I did it, how long it took, how I got him to sit still, and what it feels like to touch it. They are intrigued because there aren't a lot of black people with locs/twists around here. (I know one other person and I'll use the word 'know' loosely because I don't even know his name. He's an assistant coach for an area soccer team.) I'm just thankful we haven't had a stranger want to touch it. I can't imagine going up to a complete stranger and asking to touch their hair. But I know there are people who do such things because other people have told me about it.

Anyway, here's a new photo.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

ADORABLE!!

Terry said...

Awesome! I think I'm going to look back at your other posts to see how you started. I love it...and I thin Asher will look adorable :-) I'm going to get the neutrogena for Asher...and look into some of the other products you listed. btw, what do you use for dry skin?

Kathy Cassel said...

Cute.

Heather said...

love it!

Julie said...

I love it! He is so cute!

hannahsmom2005 said...

Those are called kinky-twists here on the Northside of Tulsa. Very common and the girls all love the guys with the kinky-twists!!! He is so adorable.

NUSLP said...

Such a cute picture!!!