Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Locs-weeks 0 and 1


I think we've decided to take the plunge and loc Kenson's hair. I had wanted to let it grown out a bit just so I could get some practice for when Conleigh comes home and after 7 months of experimenting on Kenson, I think I'll be able to manage some basic styles on Conleigh. So that leaves us with choices to make about Kenson's hair. I really prefer him with hair rather than bald. (Maybe because his head has been shaved for the last 2 1/2 years, until he came home?) Anyway, his hair is now a bit shy of 3 inches in the front when unstretched and is a bit shorter in the back where he lost some of it due to ringworm. Derek and I both really like the look of locs and the fact that after the initial locing is done, they become pretty maintenance free. I don't know how people who have multiple kiddos with hair that needs to be done do it. I'm not sure I could keep up with having Kenson and Conleigh's hair to do.

Anyway, I've been researching locs for the last 7 months. I originally thought we were going to do two strand twists but after doing some more looking and after having Kenson's hair in single twists multiple times, I think we're going with the single strands. They will take longer to loc and they are more prone to coming out as they are not secured with rubber bands or braided.  But I think they will serve our purposes well.

I want the end results to have a more rugged, less defined look to them but not thick and unruly.  That is one reason I chose single strand twists over two stranded twists and braids.  The single strand twists will have that more rugged look right away versus the other two methods where you have to wait for the hair to actually loc to get rid of the look of two strands of hair or a braid.  I also decided to not part the hair as I was twisting but to instead choose random sections of hair.  I think that will help with the rugged, more "manly" look I'm going for. 

I started last Wednesday after Kenson's bath by going through doing single twists. To do single twists which can also be called coils or comb coils, you basically just take a section of hair and twist it between your thumb and pointer finger. It will start twisting up on its own. Each section had a base that was about the size of the end of a pencil eraser but some were bigger and some were smaller.  To help it stay and to help keep the hair healthy, you want to do it on wet hair. I also applied gel to each section of hair before I twisted. I used Jamacian Mango and Lime Resistant Locking gel. I have to say I totally am loving the gel. It has held very well. I made each section about the size of the diameter of a pencil which was the smallest size recommended for starting locs. I think I put in around 150 twists. After I had his whole head done, I used a cool blow dryer to help set the twists. Then off to bed with a sleep cap.

All in all the twists have been in for a week now and they still look great. I have redone a few here and there but not a major redo so the gel is working well. Basically, what I'm hoping is that I can spend 15 minutes each day tightening and redoing any that have come out and that this will be sufficient to get them started locking. So far, that has worked.

I have gotten them wet twice but not washed them as I think I want them to start locking before I wash them. For the record, you can wash locs, even when they are brand new. But since these are being started with twists, I'm going to hold off as long as I can so that the washing doesn't disturb the locs. We don't use shampoo on Kenson's hair but I think even a copoo (conditioner wash) would cause the locs to unravel.

Here's a picture of last Wednesday and one from today, a week later. (Pardon the snotty nose in the second pictures; it appears to be the time for boogers at our house.)

8 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Looks nice. I'm thinking I'll just leave Kaleb's hair short since I'll have two girls to worry about.

kb said...

very cool

Bill and Christina said...

Looks great!

Miss Alissa said...

He looks like such a big kid in that second picture!

kayder1996 said...

Alissa,
The serious face really does make him look a lot older.

Heather said...

Those look great Kayla!

Heather

Katy said...

Excellent work...I really need a patient teacher's help. (as soon as Gracyn actually gets more hair..it is slowly coming in=)

Salzwedel Family said...

His hair looks great! Good job. I need to learn more about locs.