Friday, December 5, 2008

Adoption Update-Kenson

Um, there is none. No new pictures either. Our update said that they are waiting for our passport to be printed and that Kiki (the processor) was hopeful it would be ready the first week of December. That projected date is not looking any too promising. Sometime we'll have a passport but when is anybody's guess. As for why it is taking so long to print the passport, no one seems to know. They were out of passport books at one point in time but I know that problem has been resolved. Sometime soon, we'll have a passport.

Those of you who think this is ridiculous, let me share the most ridiculous part of this. If I had given birth to this child in Haiti, he would have been issued an American passport not a Haitian one and, if I understand it correctly, he would not need a visa to enter the U.S. But because he is adopted, he has to get a Haitian passport and then an American visa. So because he is an adopted child and not a biological one, it adds time to the end of the process. There is currently legislation pending that would ammend current laws to allow children whose adoptions meet certain requirements to come home on US passports without a visa, so that these children are given the same rights as your bio children would have. EACH is an organization that advocates for children and has a site that explains this legislation. If you click on the legislation tab, it will tell you the name of the law, etc. and then you can contact your Senator or Representative to ask them to support the changes in the law.

6 comments:

Katy said...

So sorry you have no news...that seems to be the trend lately. =( You are right, the passport/visa issue is ridculous...I have also heard the situation with a lack of paper to print them? That makes no sense either...totally ridiculous. With all the money these adoptions take, you would think they could get more than enough paper!?!? Sigh. May your little guy be with you soon. I am praying.

Mary said...

Kayla,
Thanks for your support on my blog. I don't know what to say. Yes, this is absurd. I'm so sorry that you are just "waiting".

Kathy Cassel said...

I have been told for a few weeks that I'm the next file to be signed out of parquet. If that's true, then do I need to send this guy a box of pens or what!

It's all very frustrating. 9 mo in ibesr and 6 mo in parquet so far. Ugh.

I hope you hear about passports SOON!

kayder1996 said...

It all makes you wonder where these files sit while you wait. Our American brains picture nice neat black plastic letter trays with labels like "In" and "Out". Something tells me it's probably not so. Let's just hope that no one knocks the existing piles off of the desk, resulting in a reshuffling that puts those that were on top back on the bottom.

Tracy said...

When I read posts like this I wonder if our little girl will ever get home...there are so many potential road blocks, all which are so annoying and unnecessary. Anyway, I guess my whining won't help...but I sure hope you're little guy gets home very soon...

kayder1996 said...

Tracy,
It's always one day closer than it was yesterday.