Saturday, April 30, 2011

Microbraid Locs, Double French Braids

Usually with Conleigh's hair, it's just wash and go.  We either sweep the bangs off to one side with a barrette or put a headband on.  (Those are her two favorites.)  Every once in a while, I will do a "style" with it.  (It's actually a bit short and thin for a lot of styles.)  This time around, she picked double French braids.  We're still dealing with the thin section of hair above her left ear.  When I first put her microbraids in, I left out that section because it had a lot of breakage and was very thin.  Then 2-3 months ago, I decided it was looking better and started braiding it.  That was a mistake.  Conleigh still twists that section of her hair while sleeping or upset.  And trying to tighten it with a latch hook didn't work very well.  So I ended up cutting those braids off when I put in the French braids.  I wasn't sure how the French braids would work in the section where Conleigh cut her own hair but it ended up being alright.  We've got 4-5 braids that are too short to fit into the French braids but it is what it is.  ((Perhaps the best lesson to be learned about hair...don't stress because it's just hair.  Even if it doesn't look perfect.)  And interestingly enough, I actually had a tough time getting started on a French braid.  My fingers are apparently more used to cornrowing and palm/thumbs up braiding than I thought!  We're actually going on day 3 with the double French braids.  Still looks pretty good!


4 comments:

Miss Alissa said...

She's so sweet:) Tell Derek I thought of him the other day. Pump n Pantry in BBow has 1ft Danger Dogs right now. I think I'll stick to calling him Big Dog, but Danger Dog might just come out sometime;) Missed seeing you guys on Easter!

Jolene said...

Oh so beautiful! We started locs from single strand twists on our 6 yr old son and his aren't very long yet. He can't wait till they are longer!

kayder1996 said...

Jolene-That's how Kenson's were started. We just trimmed his from 5 inches or so in places to around 2-3. I loved the longer look but they were a bit too long for a 4 year old boy. (in his eyes, not quite age appropriate in my own opinion) Maybe when he's a bit older, the longer look will seem more suited to his age.

kayder1996 said...

Alissa-
=)