Thursday, February 19, 2009

Milestones of a Different Kind

A lot of people keep track of milestones for their kids. First tooth. First word. First haircut. Adoption makes you look at milestones in a very different way. You can spend time agonizing during the wait because you've missed those milestones. Or you can begin to consider what new milestones your family will experience together once your child comes home. Some of those, I've already written about. First snow. First bath in a big bath tub with warm water. First car ride in a car seat.

So what would I count as important things this week, Week 3, at home?

D had parent-teacher conferences this week so while he isn't back to work quite yet, he did need to attend those and miss supper and bedtime on Monday . During supper, Kenson pointed to the chair where D usually sits and said in perfect two year old jabber, "Papa back." Yes, Kenson, Papa will be back. And then he smiled and went on eating. He said it without prompting from me. He used words we had been using when someone had to leave the room or the house. He said it almost confidently, not in a questioning way. He said it like he believed it. (And really it was probably one of the first times where he said anything in English without prompting.) It made me teary. So we didn't go to bed on time, but instead got ready for bed and then sat downstairs and watched 101 Dalmations while we waited to see that Papa really would come back. Good times.

Tuesday, I actually left the house without Kenson. I went and got my hair cut and highlighted while D stayed with Kenson. There were no tears. I said good-bye, he asked about me a few times, and when I returned, he smiled a huge smile and wanted a hug. He's beginning to get that we always come back; oh the sweetness of it all.

2 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Awww. Can't wait for those times.

kb said...

Beautiful! Oh, how I long for those milestones...