Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Haiti January 2009-Back in the US

Saturday meant leaving Haiti and heading to Miami. We decided when we booked our tickets to not head back in one day. It's doable but you have to make two connecting flights and you get into Omaha really late at night. So we overnighted at the Airport Hotel in Miami. (Convenient but I personally felt way overpriced. We stayed in much nicer places for much less. The bathroom was a bit uhh and we only got two towels in our room. Just kind of blaise.) The hotel did get to be the site of Kenson's first major melt down and we weren't asked to leave despite the 30 minutes or so of blood curdling screaming and crying so perhaps I shouldn't judge it so harshly. Sunday was our heading home day. On all the flights, Kenson did wonderfully. His ears didn't bother him. He played with the Magna Doodle, enjoyed his snacks, and slept.

Several people met us at the airport. My parents, my brother, my grandma, and my cousin, Alissa, were there. Our small group from church also came to see us. Kenson clammed right up as one might expect. Thankfully, he handled the car seat well and survived the fairly lengthly drive to our house with no tears. My family stopped back at our house before they headed out. Again, Kenson was totally shell shocked. We knew that he would be. But we intentionally wanted his homecoming to be a joyful celebration, a time that would be marked with pictures and family and friends. I pray he will remember or be reminded by the pictures of how excited people were to see him and how many people said things like "We've prayed for you for a long time."


And that is that. Our little girl is still in Haiti. Kenson's birth family is still in Haiti. Some wonderful ministries are still in Haiti. And we're here. May we keep connected to that place and be aware of God at work there.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Ok... I don't know why... but the picture of you zipping up his little coat in the airport brought me to tears. It's real!!! He's home!!!! Thanks for the details.... I'm going to go daydream now!! LOL

NUSLP said...

Wow I was brought to tears of these pics as well. I am so happy for you guys!