Thursday, November 11, 2010

My New Favorite Hair Tool


Got any guesses as to what it actually is?  It is...drumroll, please...a latch hook.  As in what you use to do handicrafts.  As in what some little old lady used to do a massive picture of the Last Supper that hangs in the back of my parent's church.

I just used it for the first time on Kenson's locs.  His locs were in sad shape.  (Not really sad, just neglected.)  I had been tightening the new growth by twisting and palm rolling but his locs are so long, I felt like I wasn't having much success in keeping them tight.  And then I got behind in retightening.  So he had like 2 inches of unlocked hair in some spots.  It took me FOREVER to get through.  But I wish I had done the latch hook business earlier.  Basically you insert the hook end through the loc, wrap the loc around the loop end of the tool, then pull it back through the loc.  You repeat this process multiple times on each loc until the roots of the loc are tight against the scalp.  The roots of his locs look great.  The actual locs could use a little freshening up, either palm rolling or trimming the ends where you get little ballies of hair or the occasional stray hairs that managed to escape getting locked.  But all in all, they look great.

2 comments:

Nadia said...

don't trim the ballies!! they are normal..I don't know why but according to lovinlocs yahoo group, don't cut them or pull them off!!

kayder1996 said...

My non expert understanding was that they were just part of the process and that trimming them was up to you; if you wanted a more manicured look, then trim.