Monday, June 14, 2010

Elusive Sleep

I thought my daughter's sleep issues had turned the corner onto Normal Street. Alas, I think I was wrong. Apparently we turned the corner onto Normal Street then hit some road construction or a detour and have now ended up back at the corner of Cranky Child and Impatient Mother. Or maybe onto the cul de sac of Dark Circles Under my Eyes.

Around the beginning of May, after months of waking up multiple times at night and often times being awake for hours at a time in the middle of the night, things suddenly changed. She started sleeping longer during her naptime, more deeply, without waking up after 45 minutes of napping and me having to tell her to go back to sleep. She started waking up only once at night, coming into our room, and then falling right back asleep. We were thrilled.

Yet now it's the beginning of June and for some reason we have seen her go back to her old habits. Waking up, staying awake, waking up in the middle of her nap, big dark bags under her eyes. I would like to blame it on our trips to Norfolk a week or so ago. Four car trips total of over two hours so weird nap times and bedtimes. Eating lunch and supper at weird times too. And since then, we've had a couple other excursions/events that have sent our schedule for sleeping into kind of a disarray. But I don't know if that's it or not.

Maybe it's just her. In the last few weeks, she's verbalized quite frequently that she thinks tall things like telephone poles, trees, and buildings are going to fall down. I don't know if it's earthquake related but I kind of wonder. And we got a package in the mail from her HCH friend, Julie, a package of cheese that I had ordered from their dairy. She was really excited about the package and excited to eat the cheese. But she asked me later that day if Julie was coming to our house in a box. I suppose like the cheese. Sometimes you wish you knew what those little heads were thinking. And I definitely wish I knew why falling back asleep is so hard for her.

No comments: