Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Mental Waste

Well, last night I couldn't sleep. For me (and I'm sure many others of you) it meant a late night scavanging for all things Haitian. Not sleeping usually leads me down the Conleigh road which means scouring blogs, checking airfair rates, looking at Haitian hotels, re read discussion group posts that I already read earlier in the day, you get the idea. Really it's just a form of busyness and distraction which in a lot of ways is about God chasing me in a corner to try to get me to stop filling my mind with mental waste. (But that's a whole 'nother story.) And in a total God thing, just as I was going up to bed at 2 a.m., Kenson started crying. So into our bed he went. A child in need of comforting and cuddling does my heart good when I get on a Conleigh kick.

Anyway, then when I woke up this morning, I woke to people on a discussion board discussing 6-12 months Haitian adoptions as being normal and the expected. Uggg! This is the second time in a week or so, someone has been saying this online. 12 months is possible under the right conditions, where everything falls into place just right. 6 months? Doesn't even make sense. There are three big steps in Haitian adoption plus a preadoption step called first legal, passport printing, and your country's immigration process to get a visa. (The passport part/visa part depends on your country but for US that's the process.) So essentially 6 steps in 6 months. A month per step. Hmmm.... It's frustrating to me for a number of reasons including our own waits, a concern that someone is being taking advantage of, the assertion that so many orphanages are not being diligent and that's why most adoptions take so long , oh I could go on and on. I don't know why I'm so irritated by it. I guess I'm just frustrated at the whole process and I'm letting the Internet scuttlebutt get the best of me. (Ah, back to the first part of this post about mental waste...)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my word...that first paragraph just sums it up so well.

It is maddening when people try to say this could happen (6-12 months). It's so misleading to people who are just starting or trying to evaluate which country to go with.

Amanda said...

I'm sick to death of it myself. Just the whole not being able to see a clearly defined process drives me MAD. Mad, I say.

Oh for the day when we are looking at airline tickets FOR REAL.

Kathy Cassel said...

12 mo?? Hahahahaha. I've been out of ibesr for 20!!!

kayder1996 said...

It's just maddening to me because there are so many factors that play into how quickly your file moves, many of which seem to have nothing to do with your processor. If processors were responsible for the bulk of the wait, then one would expect all files from one orphanage to be constantly delayed. That and it would mean that 5% of the processors who apparently process things in 12 months or less are efficient and that the 95% of remaining processors who's adoptions take much longer are terrible. Which makes no sense especially since some of the very well thought of orphanages like GLA are still suggesting 24 month timeframes. I'm not one to believe that the minority is the actual and that the majority of cases are the exceptions.

Bottomline...There is a real problem with the process constantly changing, with an inefficient system that does not seem to have a rhyme or reason to how things are processed. New adoption legislation that clearly spells out the requirements as well as the steps in the process and which restricts new steps from being added willy nilly would greatly reduce wait times.

NUSLP said...

I am just confused as why they wouldn't want to get kids these families...sorry it is so frustrating!