Monday, November 2, 2009

God and Me-The Provision of a Godly Word

This week, God has continued to speak the same message to my heart. He has continued to be steady and unwavering, pouring out provision in all sorts of forms.

On Sunday, Gregg preached from James 1:12. "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. " He started by having three people share how they have endured in trials which allowed me to gain some perspective. There is something about seeing the lives of others that often reminds me that I don't want to trade my "junk" for someone else's.

Gregg also followed in Sunday school with Romans 5:3-4. "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." Then my friend, Lisa, emailed this very verse to me, not knowing Gregg had just used it as a connected text for his sermon.

This week, I also read from Don't Waste your Life by John Piper. He writes, "If we only trust Him to give us gifts and not Himself as the all-satisfying gift, then we do not trust Him in a way that honors Him as our treasure." That is important for me to hear because I often get frustrated when my obedience does not produce the results I desire, when it feels like God should fix my life just because I've been doing the right things. Indignation over the "injustice" of me not getting what I want does not honor God and does not show a deep appreciation for the ultimate gift God has given me, a redeemed life.

Piper also writes, "The health, wealth, and prosperity "gospel" swallows the beauty of Christ in the beauty of His gifts and turns the gifts into idols. The world is not impressed when Christians get rich and praise God. They are impressed when God is so satisfying we give our riches away for Christ's sake and count it gain." Again, something I needed to hear. I often turn my prayers into idols. As in, the thing that becomes most important for me is an answer to my prayer, specifically an answer in regards to Conleigh that would have her file progressing rather than sitting in static. It also was good to be reminded of how shallow it is to love God and serve God when things are going well. I don't want to be the person who loves God only when they get what they want from Him. I want to be the person who loves God because they get what they need from Him. As Piper says, "God, in love, will use whatever trials are necessary to intensify our savoring of His glory." He will use the circumstances of my life to teach me what I truly need, to cultivate in me a desire to glorify Him no matter to what, to bring me to a point of enjoying Him no matter what.

Praising God for His words of life to me this week...

No comments: