Friday, March 6, 2009

My Life as a Widow has now Begun

Can you hear the blue haired woman dressed in polyester playing the organ? Soccer season is now in full swing. Just call me a soccer widow. D supervises a before school study hall for his boys and then has practices after school so he gets home a lot later now. Next week is their pre game scrimmage and then we'll have 1-2 games every week. It gets crazy and there are definitely times where I wish D were home more. But, my husband loves it. And I love it too in some ways.
We get to interact with a whole new age level: high school boys. And a lot of those boys were kids we taught in elementary so it's fun to be back around them. And with our school, the soccer team is about so much more than soccer. It's one of the few truly multicultural extra curriculars so D's had to teach about teamwork and community building. And our team is full of kids who don't have many expectations for their future. They think things like "Finish high school. Find a job." The soccer team is really about creating a culture of developing your potential rather than settling for the minimum. It really is a ministry opportunity for us. Each year, we find ourselves a little deeper into relationships with the group of boys before us. With the addition of Kenson, the boys seem to be very interested in being around us as a family and checking him out. Hopefully, we'll have some more opportunities as a family to interact with the team.

2 comments:

Salzwedel Family said...

I love everyday opportunities that can turn into a chance to minister. Very cool!

Terry said...

When I first read this title I thought "holy cow did I miss something"! I thought your husband died! But then realized you wouldn't be posting a coffin if that were true :-)