Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Global Food Crisis



A few weeks ago, the Christian radio station, KLOVE, partnered with Compassion International to raise awareness of the current global food situation. As they shared various stories on air about poverty and hunger, they encouraged people to go to the Compassion website so that they could see the face of the global food crisis.

I couldn't help but think, "Or just look at a picture of my kids. My kids are the face of global hunger." In fact, I've been asked by another adoptive mom who did a domestic adoption how often we just looked at Kenson in wonder at the whole situation and the joy that we have claimed because of him. When she asked me that, I knew what I should have said. (Um, yes, all the time.) But the truth is while we are full of joy because of this little guy, the look in my eyes, the awe that shocks me and scares me and fills me is because of the fact that my little boy is ALIVE.

Without the care of the orphanage, my son could have been one of those faces you see on the sponsor a kid websites. My child. The one so many of you love. It could have been his sunken cheeks, his chicken bone arms, his starvation bloated belly.

But he's none of those things. He's full of life with fat cheeks and a wonderfully round tummy. March 11 was the day officially set aside to encourage people to give towards finding solutions to the global food crisis. I'm a little behind, I know. But take the time to ask, what am I doing to keep kids like Kenson and Conleigh alive? I'm not saying you have to give to Haiti. But choose to do something. KLOVE has a link explaining the Compassion ministry. My side bar is full of ministries operating in Haiti. Do something. Choose to be a part of the solution, even if it's just a small part.

2 comments:

ruralnebr said...

kudos, Kayla. Just keep reminding us. Compassion Sunday is coming up, I'm going to present kids to our congregation & MOPS group again. We can change 1 life at a time. Blessings, Sheree (we need to get down there and see Mr. Kenson!!!)

Katy said...

It's kind of surreal, isn't it? Beyond comprehension. Thanks for the reminder.