Sunday, October 19, 2008

Menu Planning Monday

Head over to the official site for Menu Planning Monday for lots of other recipes and menu ideas.

Crockpot Cheesy Spanish Chicken with tortillas and lettuce salad

Chicken Cheesy Chilli using leftover chicken from the above recipe (I didn't really plan this but once I saw how this turned out, I'm going to use the extra chicken and sauce to make a soup. I think I'll add some milk and some navy beans. Maybe some corn?)

Wonton Soup with lettuce salad (Didn't get to this last week.)

Homemade Chilli, fresh fruit, carrots and celery sticks (I don't have recipe for chilli; I don't think I've probably ever made chilli the same way twice. I brown ground beef, drain it, then add a couple cups of tomato juice, chilli beans, kidney beans, chopped onion, chopped celery, canned tomatoes, canned tomatoes with green chillis, salt, pepper and chilli powder. I also add some water and beef bouillon cubes.)

Chilli Dogs using leftover chilli, jello with fruit, carrot and celery sticks (I buy Oscar Mayer's low fat turkey hot dogs; they taste good and are much better for you than regular hot dogs.)

Corn Dog Casserole, fresh fruit, pudding

Corn Dog Casserole (My cousin Dacia's recipe for a scallopped corn side dish. I just added hot dogs to make it into a meal.)

2 sticks melted margarine (I usually only do 1 stick and it turns out fine)
16 oz. sour cream (You can use no fat)
16 oz. canned corn, undrained
16 oz. cream corn
2 pkgs. Jiffy cornbread mix (any brand will do, should be the kind that makes like a dozen muffins or a smal pan of cornbread0
2 eggs, beaten
4 or 5 hotdogs, cut in 1/2 inch chunks

Mix it all together and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour in a greased 9 x 13 pan.

6 comments:

Terry said...

Good news about Conliegh being in IBESR! I love the new look to the blog :-)

I think I'm going to start a Menu Planning monday...I hate cooking and it'll probably make my life easier...Terry

kayder1996 said...

I really like going to the Menu Planning Monday home site; over 300 people do the meal planning with a blog post similar to mine so it's kind of a fun way to get new ideas for meals and new recipes. I have also found through this site a blog totally devoted to crock pots. It's something like Crockpot 365 and it's about a woman who pledges to use her crock pot every day for a whole year. She publishes the recipes and reviews so you know if they are good or not. I love my crock pot just because it makes my life so much easier; it's great if you hate to cook too. (Which I don't but since you mentioned it...)

Mary said...

Yummy!!! Congrats on baby sister being in IBESR. Praying she is out in record time!!!

Jodie said...

With the crockpot spanish chicken, do you use thawed chicken or can they be frozen?

kayder1996 said...

Jodie,
I would think you could use frozen chicken but would probably want to cook it on a bit lower temperature (if your crock pot has different settings) and for longer. I made this on Sunday and we had it for lunch after church so it only took like 4 hours using a bit less chicken than the recipe. I cut the chicken into strips so it would cook faster. Using smaller pieces would also make it easier to use frozen chicken. Tenderloin strips or cubes, even when frozen, would obviously take less time than full breast pieces. It was pretty soupy to have with tortillas but I think it will make an excellent chicken chilli type soup using the left overs.

Jodie said...

I made the cheesy chicken dish. I added a can of diced chiles. Yumm-o! I thought it was a little too cheesy, but my hubby really liked it, so it's a keeper. Thanks for the suggestion!