Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Insomnia Linked to Cough Syrup

Ri-di-cu-lous. This is the second night in a row where I have had difficulty falling asleep, finally fell asleep around midnight, and then woke up a few hours later bright eyed and bushy tailed. So aggrevating...

I'm blaming it on expired cough syrup. Don't know if it's true or not but my scientific analysis has connected these dots: both nights I took the same cough suppresent, both nights approximately 4 hours after taking the medicine I promptly woke up, the medicine's duration was 4 hours, I did not wake up from coughing or congestion I simply just woke up.

Now here's the part where you can roll your eyes and say "oh brother!" The cough syrup tasted terrible yesterday and tonight. I know, big surprise. However, it was worse than normal. For whatever reason, I decided to look at the bottle for the expiration date. December 2005. Yummy! I dumped the last few tablespoons down the sink. And now I'm blaming my insomnia on the expired cough syrup.

Thanks for indulging my random thoughts! Sorry, no prizes or awards for enduring them.

4 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

My mom can't take a lot of meds--allergy and sinus type--because there is one ingredient that makes her "hyper" and unable to sleep. So it might be that there is one ingredient that keeps you from sleeping in meds. Especially if it is a non-drowsy formula.

kayder1996 said...

Kathy,
I did consider that and I'm guessing that must have been the deal. But I usually don't have that problem. And I've taken that kind of cough syrup before with no problems. I'm not sure what I'll be doing tonight. Thankfully, I don't have a real job where I have to go to work on 2 or 3 hours of sleep.

NUSLP said...

Hillarious!

Jodie said...

Nighttime cough syrup jacks me up, too. I only take it IF I absolutely must, but then I don't sleep.