Saturday, March 13, 2010

Slowly but surely....

we will get this family thing figured out.

-My folks came down last night and spent the day with us. Conleigh was warm and interacted with them wonderfully. (Considering the last time she saw them, she pretended to be asleep the entire time.) She even let my dad push her and Kenson in the cart at Wal-mart and be separated from me. She was a bit nervous at first but soon realized that I wasn't going anywhere. When they left, she got the paper doll people that we made of all of our family and picked out Grandma and Grandpa and started telling them, "See you later!"

-We have decided to have Kenson spend a few mornings a week at a friend's house just to give us all a break. With D working long hours, usually around 12 hours a day, Conleigh, Kenson, and I are spending all day together. Kenson constantly plays with Conleigh (which is great) but I think he needs a break. We are still having lots of tears and tantrums during those twelve hour days and the ones on Kenson's part are almost always about playing with Conleigh. (Sharing, trying to boss her around, trying to keep her out of trouble) He said a few times last week that he wants her to go back to Haiti. (Too bad our verse for the week is "Love always perseveres." Can't send her back because we're perservering...love it!) The amount of crying is enough to make me crazy on some days. And I am spending most of my time with both kids in discipline mode. I also rarely get any one on one time with Conleigh. So having Kenson spend a few hours a day with our babysitter and her boys seems to be a good thing for all of us. Plus on those mornings Kenson gets to ride in to town with Papa all by himself which is a special treat.

-Conleigh is still struggling with obedience. But it is improving. She has finally figured out that I will do what I say and that crying and throwing a fit will not change my mind. So we're getting less behavior related tantrums. She has also started saying "thank you" and "I love you" unprompted. (She tells lots of things "I love you" including cups and the television so we won't get too excited about that but the "thank you" is very genuine.) She is also much more smiley and cuddly with me. She seems to be enjoying her time with me rather than tolerating it.

2 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

I think having Kenson have that time away might be what you all need. Make sure you get some away time or all alone time too. I was going crazy spending all day one on one with the twins. Having them in preschool a couple hours a morning is a sanity saver. And I'm a lot more fresh and fun after my break--but maybe a little crazy coming up on the first Tyndale deadline.

Unknown said...

I hope giving Kenson a break will be good for all of you. It will be good for Conleigh to see that he goes and comes back, too.

We're seeing how things will work out now with Esther in school all day. Friday was her first day, and Zoe wasn't sure what to do. I hope having some one-on-one time with her will help her issues/behaviors.