Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Hairy Situation

Well, I did it. I finally tried something different with Kenson's hair. We've always thought we'd like to try some different things with Kenson's hair when he was little other than a shaved head or short cut. Part of it's selfish motivations (it's kind of fun to play around and it gives me practice for Conleigh). And part of it I think encourages risk taking and helps to fend off self conciousness as it helps kids believe that it's okay to be unique.


Anyway, Kenson has been crabby all afternoon. (Darn molars coupled with allergy type symptoms and a late night soccer game last night.) I knew he would probably be clingy all evening and D was going to be gone to be the site supervisor at a soccer game. So if he's going to cling, let's get something done. We are leaning towards doing locs at some point in time with Kenson so I thought I'd just try some simple twists which is one way that you can start locs. I figured it would just be good practice. Plus it would help us see how that type of style looked on Kenson. A lot of the boy babies at the orphanage get their hair braided/twisted. But Kenson never had his done. Anyway, I got maybe 1/3 of the way done before he decided he had had enough. (Not bad for a kid that I don't think has ever had his hair parted and twisted before.) We'll see if he lets me finish it or not.


I was fairly pleased with what I ended up with, considering I had never attempted this before with either of our kids. I knew my parts wouldn't be as good as they could be because I didn't have any clips to help hold back the hair. I also didn't take the time to center it on his head with horizontal and vertical parts. (I think you're supposed to start by dividing the head into four quadrants like that but I didn't have clips and I figured this was really just an experiment anyway.)

8 comments:

Terry said...

You go girl! Looks great :-)

Kathy Cassel said...

Cute.

ruralnebr said...

Lookin' good! Seth will be jealous!

Katy said...

Impressive! And very cute!

Rumo Mom said...

Hi, just wondering if you are adopting through PAC in Les Cayes? I was just there and have a bunch of photos I would love to share with parents. Julie

kayder1996 said...

Julie-Nope Conleigh is at HCH in Mirebalais. You might try posting on the Haitian Angels Yahoo group.

Salzwedel Family said...

Oh my gosh...he looks SO ADORABLE!

Sean's Ladies said...

Great start!! He'd be so cute with locs!!!