Friday, July 4, 2008

No Place Like Nebraska

As we were boarding the plane in Ft. Worth last week, I said to someone "I can't wait to get back to Nebraska." Then I realized how odd that comment probably sounded. Most people don't think of Nebraska as a place you miss or a place you long to return to. But the longer I live, the more I appreciate this place. Maybe it's the pioneer spirit instilled from the generations of my family that have lived here. Maybe it's the farm girl in me who loves the wide open space and sense of freedom that the skies and grasslands encourage. Regardless, there are certain things I love about living here and we're definitely grateful to be home.



"She had never known before how much the country meant to her. The chirping of the insects in the long grass had been like the sweetest music. She had felt as if her heart were hiding down there, somewhere, with the quail and the plover and all the little wild things that crooned or buzzed in the sun. Under the long shaggy ridges, she felt the future stirring. " Willa Cather, O' Pioneers

1 comment:

Miss Alissa said...

I understand. Nebraska just gets this hold on you:) It was so good to get to see you guys and hear about your trip. I love you!