Monday, July 21, 2008

I've Got an Itch

I've got an itch...or two or three. D and I have been working on insulating our back porch and that fiberglass insulation is just nasty stuff. (I even wore a long sleeve shirt, leather gloves and a mask.) I'm not sure if you can really call it a porch. It's an enclosed room that was tacked onto the back of our old house at some point in time. However, I use the word "room" loosely. One side is actually 2-3 inches longer than the other. In one place, you can see the exterior house wall including the original gingerbread trim. In other places, it is bead board paneling backed up against the outside wall of the room. There are no studs anywhere on our porch; all of the framing was done using 1 x 2s. In some places, there are strips of metal tacked up. I'm assuming these cover holes. The windows are ancient; one of them doesn't even open. When we moved into our house, one of the previous owners had decided to get trade this ugliness for another ugliness: mismatched paneling. So for several years, our porch has had a white tile board, green tile board, and wood grained paneling covering the walls. Lovely. A while back, I decided to rip all the paneling off the walls (and the ceiling) and try to make the place look a bit more respectable. I did the demo and then quit. With the acquisition of a stroller and a wagon for Kenson, we will soon be needing to actually use the porch in some functional way to store things. Hence, we need shelving. I really don't want to put shelving in and have the porch look as badly as it does so we are insulating the porch and then covering the insulation with a uniform fiberboard. Then we will be able to paint it and have it all look sort of the same. Except for the exposed gingerbread which I'm leaving exposed so I can paint it. In my mind, I'm picturing a bright crazy paint job with many colors but we'll see how it goes. I'm currently thinking turquoise, apple green, orange, and black but I'm not sure what walls I would paint what colors nor how I can make all of those colors fit together and not look like a circus gone terribly wrong. Hopefully, I will get it painted before the end of the summer and maybe I'll be able to post some pictures.

No comments: