Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Sweet Treats

Christmas is the season of goodies and sweet treats.  (Just ask my oldest two who attended their 4-H Christmas party where each of them one the guess-how-many-candies-are-in-the-jar game and walked away with 129 pieces of candy each, plus the regular candy prizes for Bingo.)   We usually make a variety of goodies to share at the holidays.  I always try to have a recipe or two the kids can help with so that they have some investment in the gifts they give their teachers.  This year, the kids help make M and M Party Popcorn and Peppermint Patties.  I've never made the popcorn mix before but peanut butter and white chocolate mixed with the salty hint of crushed corn chips plus M and M's, popcorn and peanut butter sandwich cookies sounded hard to beat.   The peppermint patties I have made before.  I press mine into a pan and top with the chocolate rather than forming them into patties; that just saves on time.  The best part?  They feature a mystery ingredient:  mashed potatoes.

I also made Saltine Toffee, which I have made and love.  It is seriously the easiest, yummiest stuff!  I've seen recipes floating around calling it Christmas Crack because of it's addicting nature.  The last recipe I made was a new one to me for Chewy Chocolate Meringues.  This recipe used egg whites like a traditional meringues but they are chewy rather than crispy.  They feature dark chocolate, dried cranberries, and walnuts.  I subbed out pecans for the walnuts.  I can't say I was overly impressed.  They were good but I wouldn't say they would make my top ten list of cookies.  Maybe if they had had more cranberries or pecans.  It seemed like you couldn't really taste either.

So what's in your goodie bags this season?

Conleigh assembling our treat boxes for our teachers.

Completed boxes

M and M popcorn mix 

Satline Toffee

Chewy Chocolate Meringues

No comments: