Saturday, March 12, 2011

Dr. Bonner, Pampered Chef, and the hair that loves them

It's been awhile since I've said anything about hair.  That's probably because with both kids have locs in their hair, I honestly don't think too much about it.  Locs fit my own style well simply because they don't require lots of daily upkeep once they are established.

With both kids, I have definitely starting using a lot less product.  I think that is a result of concerns about product build up making their locs look dirty.  I'm less concerned about the hair and scalp drying out than I used to be too so I'm less likely to obsessively dump some conditioning product on their heads.  With Conleigh, I probably use coconut oil on it 2 or 3 times a week, unless it starts looking dry.  With Kenson, I maybe use coconut oil on it once a week.  If the coconut oil is not within reach, I sometimes will grab Taliah Waajid's Protective Bodifying Mist.  I also received a trial size of Darcy Botanicals Cherry Kernel Oil which I have been using lately.

I have switched over to a clear conditioning shampoo.  (What I have heard is that, for locs, clear products are better in terms of build up, when compared to opaque products.)  I was using Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner as a cowash.  I absolutely love the product.  But it's bit too "rich" to use often on locs.  On rare occasions, I pull that out.  Generally speaking, we shampoo about once every 2 or 3 weeks.  The shampoo I use is actually a homemade one.  It's a mixture of about 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup Castille Soap (I'm using Dr. Bonner's peppermint), and 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  I really, really like it especially when paired with this fantastic tip: use a suds pump to turn it into foam.

The tip is actually from a high school friend.  She uses the Pampered Chef Suds Pump for store bought shampoo so her kids don't waste so much in the shower.  I thought this would also work well for my homemade shampoo as it's a bit thin and can be hard to keep in your hand as you're trying to lather up a kid's head.  It completely fixes the problems as it squirts the liquid soap out in the form of suds.  It makes it so easy to get the shampoo evenly dispersed and keeps it nice and full so it doesn't roll out of your hand or down a kiddo's face quite so easily.

 

So there you have it, my ode to Dr. Bonner and Pampered Chef...

1 comment:

Foster Mamalion said...

I have a question for you. I have a 1 year old (this Sat) and she has about 7 inches of hair on top and the very back...well not as much. She was doing well with me "doing" her hair and now has started fighting for all it's worth. In the end it looks haphazard and messy and not completely done because it simply isn't. The back will get matted so easily if not combed, but the battle is pretty fierce. Do people do locs with 1 year olds and did you have them done or do them yourself? Thank you! Kara
kcurfman@sbcglobal.net