Wednesday, February 9, 2011

God and Me-Convent? Monestary?

A lot of times people use the euphimism "run away to join the circus?"  And when I was a single eighteen year old I'm sure I spent a lot of time threatening to join the "nunnery".  (Thankfully my dear hubby made an appearance.  I'm pretty sure I would have been a terrible nun.  Especially since I'm not Catholic.)

Now, with all the hubub and noise of life, the monestary or a convent actually sound kind of appealing.  I am a bit dried out in a spiritual sense.  We've missed church several weeks in a row.  (One of which involved me 'coaching' a group of high school boys while they played soccer.)  We've been traveling.  And I've been tired.  And the kids have been sick.  And I've struggled with letting people get the better of me and responded with impatience and arrogance.  And I haven't done well in setting down and meeting with God.

Sure, the last few weeks have had some moments of spiritual consciousness.  But for me, I need a mix of the spontaneous spiritual moments and moments that come about because I specifically carved out time in my day for time with God.  I know there are some people who would say they've given up feeling guilty for not setting a specific quiet time each day and instead meet with God in places along the course of the day, from a quick glance at a verse to listening to Christian music.  I'm not saying it's wrong.  I'm just saying, for me, I need the deliberateness of a plan.  I know it's a bit stuffy and doesn't feel like a passionate love story.  But if love was left entirely to passion, I'm guessing it would quickly die out. 

I need to combine that passion with the choice to deliberately give God a set portion of each of my days. 

Without that?  Well, let's just say it involves daydreaming about the stillness of a wooded forest, monks in robes, and some choral chanting.

2 comments:

christiancari said...

Something interesting I'm a part of: a Facebook bible study group. We all got a Priscilla Shirer workbook & can access the videos online if desired, but otherwise we just go through the study & post comments within the Facebook group that was set up. I'm loving it. It works really well for me since it inspires me to do a structured study (this one is about Jonah & living a life "interrupted" by God, which is proving a lot more applicable to me than I'd thought maybe it would) but I also don't have to give up another timeslot in my week to go "out" to a meeting. If you're interested, let me know & if we do another one, I'd love to include you.

kayder1996 said...

Sounds interesting. If you start again, I'd defnitely be interested.