Friday, September 3, 2010

My week as an ode to the end of the summer wedding season...

Something old
This week marks my return to the classroom, at least on a part time basis.  I subbed in fourth grade, sixth grade, and kindergarten.  Next week I have a job in fourth grade and a day as the speech language pathologist.  After being out of the classroom for eight months, it has been nice to be back.  It's been a good reminder of how comfortable I am in teaching, how much I enjoy it.

Something new
The last few weeks have brought about some big conversations about D's grandma.  She has lived alone since D's grandpa passed away 18 months ago.  While her health has not been stellar, it appears to be steadily declining.  She has no living children, no living siblings, no living spouse.  D and I are the closest relatives at 2 and 1/2 hours away, then it's D's brother in Boise.  We are extremely thankful for the friends we have who have helped Marie in the last year or so.  But that still doesn't make the reality of her living alone in poor health any easier.  More than anything, we need wisdom and love.  May we act in wise ways that reflect the love of the Lord.

Something borrowed
The last few weeks I've been reading like crazy, all things borrowed from a couple of different libraries.  My list is quite varied:  A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity by Bill O'Reilly, Dreams from my Father by Barack Obama, Put Down your Rocks by Nicole Johnson, The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence, My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers.

Something blue
The weather has been turning here and it is amazing.  After some really hot dry summer weeks, it is finally starting to feel like fall might be around the corner.   A magnificent cornflower blue sky, sfull of cottony white clouds.  It's endless.  It stretches across Nebraska's face like a gigantic grin, ending in dimply hills and plains streaked with greens and browns and yellows.  It's as if that sky is marking a path for fall:  crisp, clean, a renewal.

Alright-add your own.  What's going on in your life that's old, new, borrowed or blue?

1 comment:

christiancari said...

I love that you're simultaneously reading Bill O'Reilly & Barack Obama!! You're awesome. :-)