Thursday, December 17, 2009

T is for tree (and tragedy)

Ever have one of those projects that didn't go as planned? Well, our tree experience this week would qualify as one of those projects. We did a bit with "t is for turkey" but did a little more this week with "t is for tree." To start, I had Kenson make a T on the floor and then took a digital picture so he could see the shape.

Then we cut out a tree from a book I have on practicing cutting and we taped it onto a toliet paper roll so it would stand up. (It's all going well so far.)Then I wanted to do something with some tree shaped pretzels that I had bought. I was thinking just chocolate dipped pretzels but at the last minute decided to make them extra special by doing a variation of a carmel dipped pretzel that I've made previously. The recipe I have has you make homemade carmel, dip pretzel rods in the carmel, and then roll the warm carmel end in chopped up chocolate, nuts, etc.. Why not make the carmel and then double dip the trees into chocolate almond bark? So I made the carmel and Kenson helped me dip the trees in the carmel. We set them on a baking rack to cool. I got the brilliant idea that perhaps doing some kind of fast cool might be a good idea, that maybe a cooler pretzel would do better when I went to dip them in the almond bark. So I stuck them in my deep freeze for an hour or so. Once I got them out of the freezer, I discovered they were really stuck to my pan. To thaw or not to thaw, that became the question. After making myself bleed with a metal spatula, I opted for thaw a bit. But of course, I broke quite a few in the process. Once in the chocolate almond bark, the pretzels that were left intact started falling apart. Apparently, because they were thinner than the pretzel rods, the carmel softened the pretzels and they started falling apart. Big clumpy chunks of pretzels. I thought I might be able to resurrect them by sprinkling Christmas sprinkles on. So I gave Kenson the shaker and hoped they would look like they were supposed to be globs of pretzelly, carmelly goodness. Um, 3 year olds and shakers full of sprinkles are a bad idea. Especially when the adult in the room is preoccuppied with dipping pretzels in chocolate.


Round sprinkles roll, especially when you try to sweep them up with a broom. Trust me, I know. I will be finding Christmas sprinkles at random places in my kitchen until Easter, that much I am sure of.

And, lest I keep you waiting...the finished product....looks just like a tree, don't you think?

No comments: