Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Different Approach to Gift Giving

Anybody else dread Christmas junk? You know, obligatory gift giving that basically results in you swapping a gift with someone else who maybe really didn't want to get you a gift either but felt like they HAD to.

I'm really not a Grinch or a Scrooge. I do enjoy presents, especially thoughtful ones or those where I receive something I need or want but might not have the time or money to purhcase it for myself. Gifts are a love language, a way to show people that you value them and that you are intimately acquainted with their personalities, likes and dislikes.

But at some point, it all gets stuck in my craw. Mindless gifts from coworkers like lotions that irritate your ezcema and Christmas ornaments that will not become treasured possessions because you barely even know the giver. Gifts from students that make you smile but also make you fat, like banana bread and cookies. Gifts from friends or family that are nice and appreciated but also really unncessary because you already have 25 washclothes or 2 pairs of slippers or a box crammed full of stationary. I'd much rather have my family and friends take the time and plan a "date" with me than buy me something. (I'm really quite fabulous and just expect people to want to spend time with me...just kidding. I think you know what I mean though. I treasure time more than stuff.)

That said, I'm still giving gifts this year. But I hope my gifts are thoughtful and useful rather than just fluffy, because-I-have-to-get-you-something purchases. I do like giving gifts. It is fun to watch friends and family receive something special. At some point, I'd love to have a year where all my gifts had a greater purpose than just to make me or the reciepient happy. It does require a little forethought. And probably a bit of saving because I'm generally thrifty and often buy gifts throughout the year at rock bottom prices. If I looked for gifts with a purpose, I couldn't search clearance racks or snap up deals on free shipping. But I could know that the money I was spending was going farther than the circle of me, my friends, and my family.

Have I piqued your interest yet? Here's a set of websites that are full of ways to give a gift with purpose, a gift that is far reaching and really stretches your Christmas budget.

Water 4 Africa-jewelry, scarves, pin cushions, pillowcase dresses, and more, provides clean drinking water to people in Africa

Haitian Creations-purses made by Haitian women as a means of self sufficiency

Artists for Hope-jewelry, supports various groups including Real Hope for Haiti in Cazale, Haiti



A Flicker of Hope-candles, supports various projects both domestically and internationally


Samaritan's Purse, For His Glory (Kenson's orphanage) and Heifer International-use their gift catalogs to buy various necessities for people around the world including clean water, seeds, animals, and sewing supplies, then give these "donations" as gifts to friends and family


Don't forget local options where you could donate in honor of a friend. Local rescue missions, foster care groups, a family pursuing adoption, literacy programs, churches, Christian colleges, the possibilities are endless.

1 comment:

hannahsmom2005 said...

I too feel the same way. I usually give all the kids at work who participate in the Christmas play a gift bag full of Christmas crap from oriental trading co. I realized this year I am spending $5-6 a kid. I can go to Walmart and get something nice and maybe arts oriented that they can really use for that much! So, more thoughtful gifts this year for the kiddos this year!!!