Saturday, April 25, 2009

What's up in the garden?

Unfortunately, the name of this post is a bit of a misnomer. There are only two things actually up and growing in my vegetable garden. (Garlic chives which are a perennial and my strawberries.) But over the past few weeks, Kenson and I have mananged to get a few things planted. I planted potatoes maybe almost a month ago. And I just put in my peas, lettuce, and onions. Nothing is up yet but it's in the ground so it should eventually be coming. Kenson sort of helped. He mostly just drug the full size hoe and shovel around. He did toss a few pea seeds, onions, and potato eyes on the ground. (Not in the hole or anywhere close to the spot I was pointing but I appreciate the effort.)

We also planted morning glories and moonflower this week by our arbor. We have had sunflowers over there in the past so they reseed and are already up and going. My goal has always been to have morning glories intwined and climbing up my sunflowers. If you are looking for a fun combination, that's it. Morning glories are a brilliant perwinkle blue and get relatively large flowers on them. Paired with yellow and peach sunflowers...stunning. Of course, something always happens and I haven't really ever had them look stunning. (My sunflowers die, the morning glories die, the sunflowers fall over, you get the idea.) I haven't every planted moonflower before but it is similar to a morning glory in that is has similar shaped flowers and is a vining plant as well. The morning glories are open in the morning and guess when the moonflowers are open? At night, of course. I'm hoping for success.

2 comments:

Salzwedel Family said...

The morning glories sound like they would be beautiful with the sunflowers. Maybe I will give that a try and see if I have any luck!

Floral Still Life said...

I love morning glories. I'm trying to encourage people with my floral still life images with Bible verses. Today on my blog I posted a still life image of some blue morning glories and a Christian poem which is in public domain. Come by and give me a visit at http://versesphotos.blogspot.com