Saturday, September 20, 2008

God and Me 13-God Cares about Ice Cream

Someone sent me a story last week about God and ice cream. Not two topics that are usually connected. The story actually fits well into my reading this week as I've been reading Psalms during my quiet times. The Psalms are one of my favorite books of the Bible with James and Hebrews probably being my other two favorites. One of the reasons I like Psalms is because the authors are honest and truthful with God; they talk to God about all the details of their lives. Psalms models for me the idea that even things like ice cream which is one of my all time favorite foods are things to thank God for. Psalms reminds me that my fears and insecurities, my hurts and my joys are things God wants to hear about. Psalms shows me that I should ask for the things I desire, not because God will give me whatever I want, but because God wants me to be honest with Him about my life. Anyway, here's the story I read that got all of this started.

Grace in a Restarant.

Last week, I took my children to a restaurant. My six-year-old son asked if he could say grace. As we bowed our heads he said, 'God is good, God is great. Thank you for the food, and I would even thank you more ifMom gets us ice cream for dessert. And Liberty and justicefor all! Amen!'

Along with the laughter from the other customers nearby, I heard a woman remark, 'That's what's wrong with this country. Kids today don't even know how to pray. Asking God for ice cream! Why, I never!'

Hearing this, my son burst into tears and asked me, 'Did I do it wrong? Is God mad at me?'

As I held him and assured him that he had done a terrific job, and God was certainly not mad at him, an elderly gentleman approached the table. He winked at my son and said, 'I happen to know that God thought that was a great prayer.'

'Really?' my son asked.

'Cross my heart,' the man replied.

Then, in a theatrical whisper, he added (indicating thewoman whose remark had started this whole thing), 'Too bad she never asks God for ice cream. A little ice cream is good for the soul sometimes.'

Naturally, I bought my kids ice cream at the end of the meal. My son stared at his for a moment, and then did something I will remember the rest of my life.He picked up his sundae and, without a word, walked over and placed it in front of the woman. With a big smile he told her, 'Here, this is for you. Ice cream is good for the soul sometimes; and my soul is good already.'

I pray you ask God for ask something good this week, not because you want Him to just do whatever you want but because authenticity is what He desires from you.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Such a neat story. Thanks for sharing Kayla. (And I love ice cream too, so I'll have to remember this one.) By the way, doesn't Phillippians 4:6-7 say we should make our request be known to God? :) That was Kaylen's Bible verse song for last week - it was a catchy song and has been running through my head every day since.