Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sugar Cookie Bars

Can I tell you how awesome I am at not buying junk food while grocery shopping?

Can I tell you how not awesome I am at making something fattening?

Last night, I saw a recipe for Sugar Cookie Bars.  (The recipe is smack in the middle of a post featuring oodles of other yummy looking bar cookies.  Things like Marshmallow Blondies and Smores Cookies.)  So of course, tonight, I had to make them.  They were wonderful in a lot of ways.  One of the things I like least in a cookie are sandy, dry cookies.  Sugar cookies, when done wrong have a tendency towards the dry and sandy.  These cookies are not that.  They are slightly underdone but not in a bad way, just soft.  My other gripe about sugar cookies is that they take forever to prepare.  Even if you are not cutting out shapes, they still manage to be a time sucking project.  Not so with bar cookies.  And this recipe makes a large batch.  I did two 8 x 12 pans full.  I did mix some cardamon into my batter and made my frosting with lemon juice and lemon zest.  The photo with the recipe shows a lot of frosting so I went that route but if I were to do it again, I use less.  I thought the frosting almost overwhelmed the cookie.  I let the kids decorate them so we had rainbow sprinkles on half and purple sugar on the other. (Mostly even but clumped up in a few spots.  See the photo evidence.)

Butter, sugar, sprinkles, some footie pajamas...what more could a kid want.

No comments: