Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats

Since there is apparently nothing of interest going on in our life right now, perhaps we'll continue on with the "it's too hot to cook/use your summer produce" recipe series?  (Completely not true but I just can't seem to get around to posting about it.  Some of it's cruddy stuff and some of it's fun but I just haven't made the time.)

I found this recipe on Pinterest, which is frankly my newest online obsession.  (Think a giant online board where people post their favorite crafts, recipes, quotes, etc..)

Anyway, while perusing the things others love, I saw the heading "Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats" and was intrigued.  (Much more appetizing than some of the things people share like vinegar dipped, oven baked radish chips or guacamole spewing out of the mouth of a mini jack o lantern.  Both of those just kind of grossed me out.)  The basic jist is this:  take your regular ole Rice Krispie treat recipe and while the marshmallows are melting with the butter, add a bit of powdered yellow cake mix.  (I especially thought of my friend, Cari, while writing this because she loves Rice Krispies and also has a funfetti cookie recipe that she likes to make.)  D said he thought they tasted the same.  I thought they definitely had a cake flavor to them.  The kids just liked that they had sprinkles and Kenson was very excited that I actually let him measure and cut the butter.  I'd say they are worth a try if you're looking for a quick and easy dessert that won't heat up your kitchen.

No comments: