Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bullriding Conversations

We live in the Midwest.  Wranglers and cowboy hats and horses and boots are part of life, especially around where I grew up.  With that goes rodeos and we've been to several with the kids.  So this afternoon there was bullriding on tv and I turned it there so the kids could watch.  Here's the conversation that ensued.

Kenson, with a "those people are crazy experession" on his face...."I don't want to ride a bull when I get big because I could get hurt.  I will ride a horse.   And a buckin' bronco."  A few seconds of silence, followed by "What's a buckin' bronco?  A horse?"  A few minutes later, while looking at me, "Do you want to ride buckin' broncos when you get big?  Why you not want to ride buckin' bronco?"  A few minutes later "Why he got horns?"  Then on to the actual cowboy, "Him have cows at his house?"  Followed by some footage of a rough ride and a hurt cowboy."He hurt his nose?  He bleed.  He have to go to the hosbital?  He ride his horse to the hosbital?"  I'll spare you the remainder of the 30 minutes or so of conversation.  If you've ever sat with a 3 or 4 year old, you know why...there's simply no way to accurately document the amount of randomness that occus.

Somewhere in the middle of that, I asked him if he wanted to a bullfighter instead.  "No, I just want to ride nice ones," he replied.

Smart boy...just remember all that for later in life.

2 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

I understand random rambling. Kaleb will just start talking and if you let him he'll talk his way through a whole movie but it drives everyone else crazy so they tell him to be quiet. But same thing--"oh look at that man. the man is walking. why is the man walking...."

Door to Bangalore said...

You'll have to have Uncle Jared and Great-uncle Tim share some life lessons about the joys and pains of bronc riding. I don't have much to add; my steer riding at Rodeo Bible Camp probably doesn't count as bullriding.