Monday, January 26, 2009

So many new things

We're home. In our own beds. (Sort of. D and I are actually sleeping on an air mattress in Kenson's room.) We left Haiti on Saturday and overnighted in Miami. Then we flew from Miami to Ft. Worth and on to Omaha today. Some family and friends greeted us at the airport.

Kenson did amazingly well. Sans one moment, he was generally calm and laid back. He had a 30-40 minute melt down once we got to the hotel in Miami. He heard kids playing as we were going through the airport and from then on, he kept looking for doors and pointing like he thought the doors would take him back to the kids. My non professional opinion says the finality of it started to sink in. But he did calm down and was smiling 30 minutes later.

He has had so many firsts that my mind can't even fathom it all. First airplane ride, first chicken nuggets, first french fries, first warm bath, first warm shower-the list is endless. There was lots of pointing and saying "Go tday" which means look in Creole. By the end of today, he was starting to get much braver and walked a bit in the airport so that I didn't have to carry him. (Thank You, Jesus! The kid is heavy. I took two slings but he is almost too big. The slings made it easier but the reprive from carrying 35 pounds of weight was nice.)

We took a Magna Doodle and a toy car for the airplane ride which were very successful. He loved to look at the window of the airport and watch all the "Macheens" and "Avions". He clammed up once we got to Omaha, then slept on the way home. My family stopped for a short while before they headed back home so he was still unsure and quiet but once they left, we ate and D got out a car set that lets you put cars in a ramp and race them and Kenson was set for life. He giggled and laughed and talked until it was time for bed. He did have a bit of a freak out moment when I tried to put him in his bed before he was asleep. The bed is a crib that converts to a toddler bed and it is white with bars that look just like the cribs at the orphanage. He got the mad cry going and kicked at the bars on the back and then kept pointing to go downstairs. So down we went until he was totally asleep and then I put him back in it. I think he'll be fine once he realizes that he can go to sleep in that bed and we'll still be there.

He also is scared of dogs, the sock monkey I got him for Christmas and the loud flushing of commercial grade toliets. (Dogs I knew would be an issue but the others are just random things.) He has a rattling cough right now so we will probably be going to the doctor tomorrow. I am not feeling all that great either, which is why I'm typing this at 1 a.m.. I've got a sore throat and a cough. Hopefully, we'll both be feeling better soon. At any rate, it's good to be back. I'll try to get some more pictures up tomorrow.

16 comments:

Julie said...

Welcome Home Kenson! So glad everyone seems to be doing well!

Kathy Cassel said...

Yay! Welcome home Kenson!

Bill and Christina said...

I am so happy for you that you have your precious baby at home in your arms!

Christina

ruralnebr said...

Hurray!!!! I am so excited for you all. Will be praying, praying, praying for you as you adjust. Did Derek take some time off? BTW, Quinn still HATES the auto flush toilets (esp @ Walmart). Parenting tip: take a piece of toilet paper, moisten w/tongue & stick over the "eye" that makes the toilet flush. Then they can safely "escape" the stall b4 you remove the paper. Kids! Love, Sheree

Amanda said...

Awww....Welcome Home! Sounds SO wonderful! Sending Get Well Wishes To You Both!!!! Enjoy your son!

kb said...

WELCOME HOME! We are so happy for your family. Thanks for sharing about this special time.
~Kristi

Katy said...

Kayla, I am so so thrilled for you and Derek!! Welcome home...it sounds like your transition is going fairly well, and it is SO helpful to hear from you so I know somewhat how to prepare....if that is possible!! And thank you for giving me hope that they really DO come home...there is a light at the end of this....Blessings and prayers! He is PRECIOUS!

Unknown said...

Yeah! We will pray for Kenson to adjust and his parents to adjust also. Welcome home!

Heather said...

I was also thankful for the sling I took with me! Sarah wouldn't go to Heath at all the entire trip home and if I put her down she would go into meltdown mode. By the end of the trip my back was in sooo much pain.

Sarah also had the rattling cough but it went away pretty quickly once we were home.

Juli said...

congratulations!!! im so glad to hear u r home!!

my boys are still freaked out by commercial toilets flushing. and dogs - luckily we dont have one.

ill pray for ur health. the rattling cough will go away after time. our ped didnt treat it becuz their lungs were clear.

Stephanie said...

WOW. I can only imagine this day coming for our family. Many, many congratulations!!

Terry said...

Welcome home Family! Thank you for the update. I just love updates!

Praying you all feel better and I can't wait to see more of your adventure now that you are home :-)

Tracy said...

Yes, Kayla! Your story and posts give us all hope that our children WILL come home. Sounds like Kenson is doing as well as can be expected. Thank you so much for keeping us up to date on your experience with a new toddler at home!

Door to Bangalore said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are so excited that Kenson is home. We will be praying that he adjusts quickly to life in this crazy country.

We should be back in NE this summer, Ansel is looking forward to meeting his cousin!

Sean's Ladies said...

Congratulations!!!! So happy for you!!!!

jennilynnw said...

So nice to read about the kids who've already made it home. We hope to be 4 years behind you. Hoping for January. Sorry I'm so slow of a reader.