Friday, January 9, 2009

Preparing for toddler adoption-picture cards

Picture Cards

The first thing I've made is a book of picture cards. I have found images for all sorts of common items I expect us to be using as well as phrases and things we will be doing. Using a word processing document, I inserted these pictures and then put the English and Creole word or phrase under the picture. On the back of the cards, I wrote simple sign language directions for that word. (I used a lot of baby sign language signs.) I then cut a part and laminated these cards. Then I attached a piece of velcro to the back.

I wanted to use these cards in two ways. I wanted to be able to take them with me from upstairs to downstairs or when in the car. I also wanted to be able to have them on my fridge. So I made two places to store the cards. The first one is a zippered CD holder. I attached the other side of the velcro to this. I first put 6 pieces of velcro on the inside cover. This is the place where I intend to "display" whatever cards I want to use. Then on the pages, I attached more velcro and then mounted the cards onto that. These pages will be my storage places for the pictures I am not using. The CD holder does have pockets but I wanted to easily be able to see the cards and get to them so I didn't put the cards in the pockets. I did try to organize the cards as I put them in so all the cards about activities were in one section, all the cards about getting dressed were in another, etc.. This zippered case will easily fit in my purse because it is small plus the zipper will keep me from loosing cards.




I have several ways that I hope to use this. I hope I will be able to use this when we are out of the house to show our schedule. I have a picture of our car, our church, D's work, the grocery store, etc. so I can tell Kenson where we are going but also show him with pictures. I also hope to be able to use this in establishing our routine at home. I have pictures for bathtime, bedtime, getting dressed, etc.. Same idea-show him and tell him the routine. I also have some of the common phrases like saying I love you, asking what's wrong, identifying emotions, etc. on these cards.

The next way I plan to use the cards is on my fridge. I made a piece of paper to mount on my fridge. I just used a piece of posterboard and then covered it with scrapbooking paper so it matched my kitchen. Then I laminated it and added velcro. I have made many food and drink cards. I will be able to use these as a way to tell and show Kenson what he can expect for lunch, supper, etc. . Initially, we probably won't be given Kenson a lot of choices about foods. But we will gradually introduce choices and these cards could be used for that as well.


In all situations, because I have the English and Creole and the sign language I will hopefully be connecting all of those communication modes for him. And because it's on cards, I don't have to try to remember everything at once. I know that these card aren't necessary for learning. Kids, especially as toddlers, learn new languages very quickly. But I hope these cards continually reinforce words as ways to communicate and also as ways to connect actions to words and objects to words. I also hope seeing the printed language on these cards will help to make up for the lack of exposure to printed text.

As Kenson gets older, these cards can still be used for matching games, letter identification games, sound identification games, etc.. It's just like having a set of flashcards but with everday objects. I know this all may be a bit ambitious but it's one of those things that I wanted to have ready. (Especially if Kenson does have some developmental language delays.)

5 comments:

Rebecca Lehmer said...

Wow Kayla - this is great! If we ever adopt older kids (and we are talking about the possibility some day) I know who to contact! :-)

kb said...

Super idea! Can't wait to hear how well Kenson responds to the picture cards.

Mary said...

Kenson is so blessed to have you for a mommy. He is going to know right away how much you care for and love him because you are putting such effort in being able to communicate with him. That is HUGE!!! One week to go :-)

Terry said...

Hi Kayla, When I brought Evan home, he had such a need to know exactly what we were doing throughout the day for him to feel secure (maybe he was afraid we were going to take him back?) Anyway, using the picture cards is a great idea. A friend of mine used something similiar with one of her chidren that had the same problem(and wasn't adopted). She also had a "surprize" card in case something didn't go as planned.

I wasn't as ambitious but I did need to verbalize our schedule for the day. And on the days we didn't have a schedule, he seemed lost. And he is still this way to some extent.

kayder1996 said...

Terry,
The surprise card is a great idea. I'm putting that one away into my brain for teaching use. I always have kids who need to know the schedule at school so I'm sure I can use that as a good way to help them learn to deal with surprises.