Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Preparing for toddler adoption-Books on general parenting

Along the way, I've read lots of things that I hoped would help me prepare my heart for adopting and being a family. Here's a few of the things I've read and a few comments about each one.

Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers, Secrets of the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg
The Happiest Toddler on the Block by Harvey Karp
(I read all of these and appreciated their practical, common sense take on parenting. I have not been around babies/toddlers a lot and needed something that would show me the big picture of baby/toddler care. The baby whisperer books did this. The Karp book especially seemed to dovetail nicely with my parenting/teaching style. I believe discipline is about learning not about punishment. I am generally lighthearted, even when disciplining. I generally work with kids at their level. I think kids have to have the natural consquences of their behavior come to fruition but that adults may need to help this process along by making sure there are consequences for bad behavior. If you are a love and logic person, I thought this seemed to fit well with that.)

The Attachment Parenting Book by William Sears
(Not my favorite by any stretch. I know some people really like the Sears' family. For me, it was too child centered. I don't believe children are designed to be the top priority within a family. My personal conviction is God first, spouse, then kids. I'm not saying that he is saying kids come first but I just couldn't get past some of the suggestions he made which seemed to lean that way.)

John Rosemund's Six Point Plan for Raising Happy Healthy Children by John Rosemund (I like John Rosemund and think his cut and dry thoughts are desperately needed by many parents. I don't think everything he says is appropriate for children who have experienced trauma or are struggling to attach. But I think the basic principles that he sets forth are important for all families. Misbehavior equals consequences. Children need only appropriate choices. Parents do not need to orchestrate all of their lives around their children and should schedule time from their children, should not feel like they have to entertain their children constantly, should be able to do certain activities without their children interupting, etc.. )

The Ministry of Motherhood and The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson (Both of these really helped me get my brain around what being a Godly mother looks like. Both of these helped me see how my parenting is about teaching my children not just what to believe about God but what to believe about the character of God.)

Books I am hoping to read:
Prayer Saturated Kids by Arlyn Lawrence and Cheryl Sacks
Heartfelt Discipline by Clay Clarkson
Grace Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel

2 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

I saw on your list on the side that you're reading the Purpose Driven Life. Our whole family is reading it together. Okay, so the seven year old probably doesn't get as much out of it but she gets the point to ponder each time. We do it once a week and combine it with a cookout at the park or ice cream sundaes at home or something else to make it a fun time not dreary. We did #15 last weekend.

ruralnebr said...

I have Heartfelt Discipline if you want to borrow it. Let me know & I can pop it in the mail. We are praying, praying for you guys!!!!!
So excited and btw, we totally understand not overwhelming Kenson with people. So...just let us know when we can come visit OR when you want to stop by or whatever. It's all about giving him a good transition time. Love you guys! Sheree