Thursday, February 12, 2009

What's Worked for Us-Naps

Kenson still needs a nap. In fact, he usually sleeps for about 2 hours and then still sleeps 11-12 hours each night. It sounded like the orphanage did a nap after lunch so we have tried to continue that.

Our house presented a unique situation with naps. Kenson needed to be with us and have us in the room. But his bedroom is upstairs. And the only other rooms upstairs are a bathroom and bedrooms. So if we tried to have him sleep upstairs, we would have to spend 2 hours or so upstairs with nothing to do. We decided to use the living room as his nap spot.

We tried rocking or reading a book to signal that it was nap time after lunch. Those things that were initiated by a parent really didn't work. Kenson knew that meant nap time and he didn't want to sleep so he would get crabby at those cues and refuse to be held or to get out books. We decided that we would just make the living room as boring as possible (toys put away, no tv on) and then "ignore" Kenson as long as he wasn't causing a problem. We have some floor pillows we throw down and a blanket so there is a nap spot. After lunch, I tell him "allay ti dohmee" which means "let's take a little sleep". (At least I hope that's what it means, hopefully I haven't been telling him something like "let's go bathe an elephant!")

He rarely lays down. Instead, he tries to come up with ways to keep himself awake. Rocking the chair back and forth, wandering around the lower level of the house, etc.. Eventually though he crashes. Generally, he does that for about 30 minutes. I let him do whatever he is doing as long as it does not detract from falling asleep. If he wants to rock the chair fine. But if he starts getting wild and trying to make a game out of it, I stop him and verbally tell him it's time for a nap. That's about the only time I talk to him. I read a book while I wait for him to fall asleep. It sounds kind of callous but I think it is appropriate because I want him to fall asleep on his own and I think me giving him attention reinforces his desire to stay awake. I am still in the room and with him and if he intentionally seeks me out for attention then I hold him or rock him. (But he rarely does that because he knows it will make him fall asleep.) If he starts crying, I may go to him if I think he needs the positive attention. But if it looks like he's just crying because he didn't get his way or because I told him no, I just ignore it. Usually, the tears are because he's tired and he usually falls asleep within minutes of those kind of tears. I think his unwillingness to immediately lay down is just part of being two and a half. My desire is for him to sleep; I don't really care where he does it or what he has to do to get himself ready for sleep.

3 comments:

Rick and jan said...

You are one amazing family! We love you all and are praying for you!

Kathy Cassel said...

Sounds like you have it under control. I'm thinking mine will be too big for naps and since they've moved outside they probably don't take them now.

Salzwedel Family said...

I think that seems like a great way to handle it. Like you said, I think a lot of it just has to be with being 2 1/2.