Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Happy Surprise (Faux Haitian Black Beans and Rice)

I made this soup recipe tonight for supper. I love slow cooker recipes and something that uses beans is up my alley since beans are cheap. I was initially a bit disappointed. It looked a less than appetizing purpley color. And the texture was a bit off. But as I was ladeling it, I thought, "Hey, this looks just like the bean sauce they serve over rice in Haiti. And it tastes similar too." So I thawed out some rice from the freezer for Kenson and poured the bean soup over it. For D and myself, I made a salsa out of fresh vegetables as the recipe suggests and then added lime juice and, at D's request, tortilla chips. (I didn't try the sour cream per the recipe but D did.) Yummy for us! And Kenson ate a huge plate of it mixed with rice. So my gut reaction of ew was pleasantly surprised by the creation of Faux Haitian Black Beans and Rice. If you're looking for an super easy recipe for that, here you go!

No comments: