Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Funny things about the days

Someone recently posted on her blog about find joy in her circumstances which were less than stellar. My circumstances right now are a wonderful mix of the new and the different and are full of emotion. Adjusting to a new family member wears you out in so many ways. I thrive on routine and normalcy and right now, we don't have either of those things down quite yet. (We're getting closer though.) And I don't want to miss the joy in these moments because I'm tired or worried about different things. I know that if I do that, I will look back and be regretful for joy that was lost. So I have tried to be very deliberate in our first days together to find joy. Not because I am unhappy but because I know how easily your joy can slip away as days run together. Also, given the circumstances with D's family, life is even more chaotic and unplanned. So here are some bits of joy from my days:

-I actually started talking to the dogs in Creole. So many of the things I tell them are the same things I tell Kenson, like sit and wait. So today I caught myself telling them "Sheeta" and "Tahn."
-I really wonder what Kenson thinks about the tv. Does he think it's real? He thinks it's fun to clap with people on tv. He's enjoyed being in the audience both on Wheel of Fortune and the NE/Kansas basketball game.
-Kenson was on a huge kissing kick Wednesday. He kissed the tv, the photos I have on my fridge, andMama and Papa!
-My husband is amazing. I went to bed the other day at 8 p.m.. When I came down the next morning, he had found my to do list and done several things on it. (Without me even asking!) He is so wonderful with Kenson and loves to interact with him. From playing hide and seek from behind the couch to kicking the soccer ball to reading stories, he is a true blessing as a dad.
-An Asian beetle found its way into our house and D thought he would point it out to Kenson. He thought Kenson would be really interested in watching the beetle crawl along. Instead, Kenson grabbed the toy he had and promptly smashed it.
-I have a 3 foot tall stuffed snowman that stands in the living room. Kenson isn't quite sure if it's alive or not. He has spent two days being very careful when he goes by it. He will stop and look at it, then touch it and jump back as if he expects it to move.
-Kenson loves to play a tickling game with D where D chases him with pinching fingers. Kenson always runs to Mama for "help." Nothing sweeter than a kiddo throwing themselves into your arms.
-Every day has been full of deep belly laughs over some new encounter Kenson has had or some new thing he has done.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I can't help but smile - so happy for your family!

Kathy Cassel said...

Fun! You will soon find a new normal and routine will be restored! I"m glad you are enjoying the moment. What wonderful memories.

Bill and Christina said...

I am happy for you that things are going so well.

Terry said...

Kayla, you have so many more moments like these in you future. It's wonderful to see them learning and growing. See everything for the first time. Its cool. I thing these things are lost when you birth a child. Becasue this revelation occurs slowly over time. But when you see your son, who have rarely gotten out of the Orphanage, "see" for the very first time, things that are new and exciting and sometimes a little scary, it helps me to see life the same way...

Praying for your strength right now. Let go of those things that have no bearing on eternity (thats my motto these days) and watch your baby boy florish!

Jodie said...

I practically fell on the floor reading the beetle part!!!