Monday, February 8, 2010

In a Year...

For weeks, maybe months now, I've had a post about Kenson rolling around in my head. I wanted to share all the things that amaze me about him and was saving such a post for a "welcome home a year ago" post. But so much was going on then that I didn't think I could even thinks coherently about it. Anyway, my heart literally swells when I think about what Kenson was like one year ago and what he is like now.

Things that have stayed the same:
Kenson greets everyday with a smile. He always has. The nannies would always tell us "Big baby. Happy baby." when we visited. His first reaction is almost always a smile. A wonderful big toothy one that just lights up his face. What a blessing to have a little boy who is filled by our God with joy.

Kenson delights in doing the right thing. I don't just say this because it makes him easier to parent. I say this because I can see the potential for a child who loves righteousness, who delights in a heart that is right with the Lord. It is my earnest prayer for him that he loves God's laws and that our family rules pave the way for this.

Things that have changed:
I have literally not been able to keep this kid in clothes. When he came home, he could wear 24 month clothes. A year later, he has passed through 2T, 3T, and some 4T things. He went from wearing a size 7 shoe to wearing a 10 or a 10 1/2. He has such long legs and arms.

He is so much more sure of himself. When he first came home, he was so reluctant to try new things. The playground was a major fear. It took months before he would do any of it on his own. Even walking was tricky. Uneven sidewalks would cause him to fall constantly. His first walk was 4 blocks to the post office and he fell multiple times. Stairs were scary. The bathtub was scary. Dogs and cats were scary. Stuffed animals were scary. It was all scary. He still is very reserved and more of a follower when it comes to new things but he has grown so much in this. The last few weeks in a room of 20 or so preschoolers at library story time, he has literally shouted for the librarian to listen to him. (Normal for most 3 year olds, not normal for him.)

His language is just crazy. He came home only speaking Creole. He now talks better than some of the preschoolers I've taught as a sub. He can count to 5 pretty consistely and could probably get to 10 if he could remember the number 6. He knows all of his body parts. He can name multiple types of machines, animals, and articles of clothing. He talks in 6 or 7 word sentences and is very conversational. Colors are still a stretch but it's coming. It is so much fun to listen to him, especially when it's 3 year old logic.

I am just so proud of him. He has had so much to process in the last year and his resilence shines through. He really is a delight who just makes me smile. Praise God He matched us to him.

3 comments:

Miss Alissa said...

He is such a blessing:) How fun it will be to look back at both of them in a year! I love your family!

Kathy Cassel said...

Has it really been a year or are you just anticipating???

kayder1996 said...

No anticipating; it was a year at the end of January.