Friday, February 12, 2010

Hair Aha's

I know, I know. I have a child who has kinky hair and I have been caring for that hair for over a year now. But tonight I think I learned something about hair.

Now that Conleigh is home, I am having to pay closer attention to the hair. Not that I didn't pay attention to Kenson's hair but when it's shorter, it's easier to just slap some product on it and hope it works. And in locs, it's kind of the same thing. I don't mean that I just put any old product on it. I will not use mineral oil or petroleum and try to avoid any derivatives like paraben. I also try to avoid alcohol. But it doesn't mean I won't try something if it's not 100% natural. And cost is a consideration for me. We live on one income...and a teacher's salary at that. Anyway, that said, I have been really trying to figure out if I have the right products to do Conleigh's hair. With Kenson, we wash with conditioner maybe twice a week. And I use a shea butter moisturizer almost daily on his hair, usually right after he takes a bath. I also use a gel occasionally on his locs, if I'm retwisting. But that's really it.

Anyway, now that I've spent the better part of 2 hours researching products for Conleigh's hair, a light bulb went off in my head. There are so many products to choose from. And they all have different names. It gets really confusing, really quickly as to what the product is supposed to do and how you should use it. They often give directions but the directions really don't help you establish a hair care routine. Even others who are experienced in hair care don't really help because they rarely explain the "why" of their routine. I am a why girl. I like to understand why you do things. And tonight I found out some whys on hair. For the first time I think I've narrowed down my children's hair care to three essential steps. Deep condition, moisturize and seal in the moisture. That's it. Deep condition: as in washing with just conditioner, using a deep conditioner, doing a hot oil treatment. Moisturize: as in something that adds moisture to the hair, simplest version is plain old water, but could include a leave in conditioner that is water based, could also include aloe vera gel or glycerin. Seal the moisture: this is where oils and butters come in, should follow the moisture so they should be applied to wet/damp hair. Aha! I often have put oil or butters on dry hair. But it would be better to do on wet hair. So for me that means cowash with Aubrey Organics conditioner, moisturize with water or Taliah Wajiid Protective Bodifying Mist, and seal with Curls by Sisters Smith Butter Me Up. Then after those steps you can use a styling product to hold a style if necessary. And you can use a cleanser if needed too. But those are the extras.

I think I was looking at it a bit backwards. Like let me find the styling product to hold a style and I'll worry about the other things later. I do that with my own hair all the time...get sucked in by some grand styling product but don't really think about the basic three steps. I think I'm a little too excited by my new found knowledge...just hope I can sleep! (Just kidding.)

No comments: