Saturday, October 3, 2009

Book Reccomendation

I just finished a book that I would recommend to transracial families (and pretty much anyone) so I thought I'd share. The title is "The Color of Water: A black man's tribute to his white mother" and it's written by James McBride. Long story short, a white Jewish woman marries a black man in 1945, is disowned by her family, has 8 children, husband dies, remarries another black man, has 4 more children, all while living in a New York project. Great story of rising above poverty and your past as well as some good racial insights from a man who felt like he was neither white nor black. All 12 children earned college degrees and the mother in the story ended up going to college at age 65 and getting a master's degree. The writer's style is filled with humor and even though his life story is far removed from mine, he captures the commonalities so many of us share. Like being tormented by older siblings or having an older cratchety relative who drives crazy and tells it like it is. Definitely worth checking out.

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Too funny. I just checked that out last week. I haven't had a chance to start it yet but looking forward to it. I'm glad to know you liked it. Bless you. SV

hannahsmom2005 said...

I've heard it was good. It was the summer reading for several of our high school students. Even the non-book lovers moderately enjoyed reading it!!! God bless your family!