Saturday, January 8, 2011

Things I Wish I Hadn't Seen This Week

*my daughter's face about 1 inch away from the water level  of a public restroom toilet.  (Sunday, we were eating out and Conleigh and I went to the bathroom. As we were left the table, Derek made a comment about going to powder our noses. Conleigh thought he said potty with your nose. I tried to explain but to no avail. As soon as we got in the bathroom, the girl tried to plant her nose in the toilet. She was within inches of a face first dive into the bowl. Thankfully it wasn't a nasty gas station bathroom, you know the ones where they still have the fabric towel that rotates through the dispenser.)

*my son drool on his face and then use the ear of his new sock monkey to wipe it up

*my daughter bring snow boots in from the back porch, still packed with snow, only to find her licking the sole to eat that snow

In a similar vein, there are many more serious things that my kids do that I wish I hadn't seen.  That's part of being a parent.  Helping kids navigate their behaviors and teaching them what is acceptable and what is not.  My daughter is full of drama... in a lot of ways.  She is opinionated and not afraid to tell you what she thinks.  She has always had the attitude of "if you would just listen to me and hear my point of view, you would surely understand and do it MY way!"  (Eerie how much like me she is!)  Last night at supper, D was reminding her about good table manners and her body started with the teenager posture.  (Hands on hips, eyes headed back towards the recesses of her brain, mouth in go mode)  D warned her not to say anything and the conversation continued along these lines;

D:  Don't say anything.
Conleigh:  But...
D:  Do not back talk.
Conleigh:  I ....
D:  Stop.
Conleigh:  Am.....

The final tipping point was when somehow she did manage to get a word in.  With her fingers pinched in demonstration, Conleigh uttered the words "Just a 'ittle bit?"  As in, can I just talk back a little bit?  I had to leave the room as I was laughing way too hard. 

Perhaps she'll be a lawyer. 

Or a politician.

1 comment:

My.3.Gurlz.With.Kurlz said...

Oh my goodness! She sounds just like my 8 yr old. I said the same thing to her, she should be a lawyer! ...
Kids are just too funny!