Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How to Make a Pie

Well, sort of.

I'm not a pie making guru by any stretch.  So really you probably shouldn't be taking advice from me.  But I told my mom I would do a pie for Thanksgiving and I really would like to get better at pie baking, so this seemed like a good opportunity to practice. 

The pie crust recipe I used was really tasty as dough.  I've never had dough that I actually wanted to eat prior to cooking and this was so good, I enjoyed eating the raw dough.  Now, let's hope that it tastes that good in a cooked pie...  The pie I'm making is one I've actually made before, but I'm guessing I used a frozen pie crust.   It's a combination of apple pie, cheesecake, and crumb topping.  (Recipe from Taste of Home.)  As to looks, well, my pie crust shrunk more than I would have liked and my fluting didn't come out well.  (High butter content, I'm guessing that is what made it not as clean and neat.  Maybe having the dough in the fridge for longer next time?)

Here's the main inspiration for my post though:  my spray bottle from Taliah Wajiid. 

I'm sure that's what most people have on their counters when baking a pie.  It's really just one I've refilled with water but my crust was a little crumbly and I wanted to add just a spritz of water.  At any rate, isn't that what you use your hair products for?  (And yes, my rolling pin has one handle.  It was my granny's, a gift from my grandma which if you know my grandma and her gift giving, it all makes perfect sense.  It need repaired but I've managed to make it work for the last ten years so you know...)

No comments: