Sunday, August 15, 2010

Tomorrow

Kenson and Conleigh are starting preschool tomorrow.  Even though it's just preschool and only for three mornings a week, it represents their first break from our insulated cocoon.  (And on days I substitute, it will be an all day break.)  All of our play dates and experiences have been in a setting mainly controlled by us.  Preschool represents a loss of control over a lot of things.   I won't be able to really monitor their peer relationships.  I will have to trust that they act appropriately towards their teacher, both in terms of authority and in terms of affection and boundaries.  Preschool (or at least some school experience) will probably start the wheels turning in my kids' heads regarding having a white mom and dad while they are black.  Perhaps preschool will be one of the first places they experience comments made about their race.

I have one who is "not worried, just excited."  I have another who is worried.  She is worried she will miss her mama.  But praise the Lord, she is not worried if Mama or Papa is coming back!  (At least she's not admitting to that.)   Both of them are excited to get to take their backpacks.  We just bought Conleigh's a few days ago and since Papa wasn't there, the first thing she said when I told her we were getting a backpack was "We need to show Papa!" 

Can't wait to hear their comments about the day once I pick them up tomorrow!

2 comments:

Wordy girl said...

I bet your children are going to love preschool. Our preschool was at our church and my little Haitian beauty had an awesome experience. She started just four weeks after coming home. We had first day of kindergarten last week - talk about needing to trust!

Rachel said...

Hey Kayla! I'm a friend of Cari's and I found your blog through hers. Anyway...we adopted our son in January, and he is black. I'm reading a really great book right now called "I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla" that addresses just those sorts of concerns (like having a white mommy & daddy). I would highly recommend it!! Surprisingly, preschoolers are pretty color-blind in terms of race. They recognize people are different colors, but they just think God made them that way and that they can change colors (even into purple, green, etc.).

Good luck with your kiddos going to school!!!