Sunday, August 1, 2010

An ode to Maude

When I was younger, my parents helped start a food pantry in the Sandhills of Central Nebraska. I spent quite a bit of time in an old bread store with my parents and grandparents, organizing food stuffs and helping people select food to take home. One of these people was a little old lady named Maude. Dainty, shrunken Maude. Dressed in polyester and dedicated to putting her best foot forward, Maude refused to age gracefully. Her rouge was bright and very unsubtle. Her lipstick followed suit and often escaped the edges of her lips. And perhaps the best part of Maude was that she was the only person I knew who wore a wig. Of course, the only reason I knew she wore a wig was because her actual hair was always sticking out from underneath the wig.

Well today, I pulled a Maude. We had baby dedication at church today and Kenson and Conleigh were two of the children who were dedicated. We got ready plenty early so D and I decided to go to the grocery store and grab some doughnuts, giving us a chance to talk to Conleigh and Kenson about what the dedication service meant. As I got back in the car and drove to church, I glanced in the rear view mirror and noticed I was wearring a blue enamel earring, one I purchased in Romania. That puzzled me. I had picked out pink earrings to match my necklace. Then I realized I was wearing two different earrings, one pink and one blue. I have short hair. Those earrings were very visible for the hour or so that I've been running around town. Apparently, I just grabbed and since they were the same style back, I didn't notice. Classy...just like Maude.

No comments: