Thursday, August 12, 2010

Heading off a melt-down

And now I will demonstrate how to head off a melt down...

Me:  Conleigh, go put your shoes on.

Conleigh:  I want three.

Me (slightly puzzled):  Only people with shoes on get to go outside.

Conleigh (a little more urgent):  I want three.

Me (distracted, wondering if she means she can't find her shoes):  Do you know where to look?  They are right by the chair on the porch.

Conleigh (starting to escalate and now using her fingers):  1, 2, 3.  I want three!

Me:  Are you wanting three shoes?  3 pink shoes?

Conleigh:  Uh huh.

Me:  Well you only have two pink shoes.  They don't make shoes in threes; they only come in twos.

Conleigh:  Why?

Me:  Because you only have two feet.

Conleigh (nodding her head calmly):  Ohhhh....

Aren't you impressed with my mad parenting skills?  It's all about the logic (and a lot of guessing!).

No comments: