Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Flat twists

D had a coaches clinic all day yesterday and then summer soccer in the evening. So Kenson and I spent the whole day together until bedtime. I decided to try out some flat twists. Mostly because I was bored and wanted some activity that would fill the time. Out came 101 Dalmations which has become our show for hair fixing. And out came the elastics and gel and spray bottle and combs.

What did I learn?

The elastics I bought at Walgreens totally stink! They were constantly breaking once I got them in. Grrr!

I don't think I did them quite right because it felt like the twists were setting on top of his head rather than actually "in" the head. I think that has to do with twisting/braiding method (underhand vs overhand). His hair is really short right now so I have a hard time telling if I'm doing it right just because I have to have my hands so smooshed up when I'm working on it. Somebody who knows what they're doing, please chime in on this!

His hair is a bit shorter than 3 inches when stretched out and is a bit short, especially for someone who really didn't know what they were doing. The flat twists did not last long and are already out today. I'm not 100% sure why. It could be a bunch of things: the way I twisted made the twists sit on the head rather than in the hair, I used a lighter weight styling lotion which I didn't think held very well, maybe his hair is too short.

It's also kind of a girly looking style. I didn't do his whole head which would have been less girly. I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the time on the style if I messed it up and it fell out. Plus, the back of his head has shorter hair so I wasn't sure it would be long enough. Still, it looked okay. I did see a little boy in Omaha a few weeks back who had flat twist on the front with box braids in the back. Still, around here, it seems like most black boys don't have their hair "done."

Even if it didn't last as long as I would have liked, it is still good to prove to myself that I can do it and to get some practice in with experimenting with different styles. Part of my motivation with Kenson's head is to get some practice for Conleigh's head.

Here are the photos:

s

1 comment:

Katy said...

I think it looks great!! I'm impressed...I took the wrong kind of hairbands to Haiti, the soft ones instead of the rubberbands. I wanted to do some little puffs...her hair is just barely long enough. But not yet....just stuck with headbands and hats that she kept taking off. =)