Thursday, November 20, 2008

Holiday Baking

We are food people in my family. Every gathering revolves around food. Food translates to love. You prepare food for people because you love them. One of my most favorite memories of my great grandma is knowing that every holiday she would be bringing pies and that at some point during the year, she would ask me a few days before the holiday what kind of pie I wanted her to make just for me. (Gooseberry or chocolate, just for the record.) My grandmas, my mom, me, we all cook. We especially cook if there's a reason but often we cook for no real reason. I don't have to do holiday baking. In fact, I usually bake and then try to figure out who to give it to rather than baking with a specific person in mind. Anyway, I'm going to try to get some of that baking done this weekend so I thought I'd share some of the things I will be making.

Oreo Balls (by far the easiest thing I make and something that always gets rave reviews)
Crush 20 ounces of Oreos; set aside. Beat an 8 ounce package of cream cheese until smooth. Add crushed Oreos. Mix. Roll into 1 inch balls. Refrigerate until set. Dip into melted almond bark and refrigerate until set.

Peppermint Potato Candy (haven't made this before, but we're going to try it)

Chocolate Chex Crunch (also a new recipe, it sounds awesome, hopefully it is)

Have any favorite holiday recipes that you know you'll be making?

3 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

We've got to try the oreo balls.

Nadia said...

http://www.eaglebrand.net/detail.asp?rid=650

these are my absolute FAVORITE, and soo easy to make.

those oreo ball things sound good..I think we'll have to try those this year.

kayder1996 said...

Just for the record, I did do the peppermint potato candy and D thought it was great. It's a bit like a cross between cream cheese mints and frosting, covered in semi sweet chocolate.