Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Smoking Hot Kitchen

Literally and figuratively. I picked our strawberries today which yielded around 3 quarts of strawberries. My plan was to make Christmas Jelly, a cranberry/strawberry combination. However, the recipe I had made a large batch of jelly. I was a little worried about it boiling over. And sure enough, it did. I was watching it very closely, trying to keep it in the pan by just barely keeping it at a rolling boil. But alas! No such luck. The kitchen gods laughed at me, my kitchen filled with smoke, and I quickly tried to use a pancake turner to scrap the jelly mixture off of my burner. The slighty gooey, slightly crusty jelly is still on my stove, soaking underneath a dish towel. Regardless, it still turned out pretty tasty.

I also decided to make a Chocolate Cola Cake today. One of D's soccer players is going to an awards type soccer game on Thursday so we're having the boys over to celebrate. It's like a chocolate Texas sheetcake but it has cola in the cake batter and in the frosting. I haven't ever made it before so we'll see how it tastes; I'm sure the 2 cups of sugar and 1 1/2 sticks of butter will do the trick and make it delicious.

1 comment:

Kathy Cassel said...

YOu are very brave to try a new recipe with others coming over. I usually stick with the old stand bys for that.