Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sickness and Death

That's what's going on at our house. Okay, maybe not death but there are times when I think death would be simpler. D has been sick for essentially the last 2 1/2 weeks. Those soccer boys of his just keep reinfecting him. (I don't know which one keeps kissing him but I sure wish they'd stop!) Kenson has been sick off and on. And now I have it so that means it's much more serious! (I'm such a baby when I don't feel good.) Right now, I think it's allergy related, sinuses plugged gunk. To borrow a phrase from another mom, a serious case of the elevens. (Those of you with toddlers think about a toddlers runny nose and the space under it and you will know exactly what I mean.) Kenson sounds like a freight train when he sleeps and is coughing like crazy. I'm just wishing that freight train would run me over.

On a more serious note, Conleigh's orphanage has been having sickness and death. There are generally four Americans/Canadians who run the place and it sounds like they have been working at a crazy pace. (It's always a crazy pace around there but it sounds like it's been even crazier.) One of the toddlers caught menegitis and passed away. So they tried to give every one antibiotics as menegitis is very contagious. Then another 2-3 kids got really sick. I'm not sure if it was menegitis or not. After that, they had a round of malaria and a round of gastorintesinal sickness impacting both kids and staff. They had several kids on IVs due to all of that. I have no idea if Conleigh was involved in any of this. This has all happened over the past few months and this is the first we've heard of it. (I'm having to bit my tongue a bit because it's frustrating that things as serious as malaria and menegitis were making kids sick and that we didn't hear about it until now. But that's the way it is. I wish we had known earlier but regardless, God is still omnipresent and omniscient and knows that situation. I'm not being flip about it; it's just that with adoption if you try to "control" or know all the details, you will make yourself crazy.) Then Minnie, the American school teacher, had a mini stroke of some kind which required hospitalization in Haiti and eventually for her to go back home to the States for a bit to rest and recover.

So perhaps I'm going on a bit much about my own situation...it could be worse.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Prayers for the return to good health for your family as well as the children & staff at the orphanage - and your peace while hearing about the illnesses from afar.

Amanda said...

that is just soooo frightening, isn't it? And yet, it allows us to continually be reminded that our children are in the Lord's hands, even when they aren't in ours...