Wednesday, April 1, 2009

God and Me-Potty Training and Long Suffering

I ended last week totally frustrated with potty training but amazed at the tie in between potty training and long suffering. If you've potty trained before, you understand what I'm saying. You think things like "You've got to be kidding me! I just asked you if you needed to go potty." and "C'mon, why are you not getting the hang of this?" Frustration mounts. The word "No Mama" abounds. Tears are shed. (By parent rather than child in case you're wondering.)

And somehow in the middle of it, God said, "Long suffering. Be long suffering because I am long suffering." So I did a topical search in the Bible for references to God's long suffering. I was reminded in 2 Peter 3:9 that God is not slow as men count count slowness but long suffering. He doesn't want anyone to perish but all to come and know Him, so He tolerates our disobedience, hoping we will turn our lives towards Him. I was reminded of numerous Old Testament depictions of God's character which lists long suffering as simply a part of who He is, a part of His unexplainable graciousness and love for us. (Ex. 34:6 , Numbers 14:18, Ps. 86:15)

It left me thankful for a God who is long suffering, who doesn't look at me and think "Are you serious? Why are you doing that? Why are you so slow to figure things out?" My God bears with me. My God is unconditional in His love for me. My God holds out hope for me. My God holds on for me. My God is long suffering. Potty training and God's character, not as unrelated as previously thought.

2 comments:

Katy said...

It looks like you are experiencing some of the frustrations of motherhood too....there are days as I wait childless that I long for these challenges, and days when I wonder if I'll be a good mom. ;) The perspective is interesting...I'm sure you can relate! Maybe K just needs to wake up one day and decide he is ready!

kayder1996 said...

Yep, Katy, I can totally relate to waiting and wondering about those things. The real challenge was that Kenson wants to use the potty and wants to wear underwear but was acting like as long as he could do those two things, he didn't care if he was wet. So we stopped with the intention of waiting until soccer season was done and Derek was home more. But then he say the potty chair a few days later and wanted to be on it and in underwear. He only had one accident yesterday and so far today has had zero accidents. I think he's finally getting it.