Friday, July 26, 2013

Almost No-Sew Project

D's grandma had this couch in her basement for years.  It was just a plain stained brown with striped cushions.  I thought it would maybe be a good piece of patio furniture so we brought it home with us when she passed away.  I painted it black and distressed it and then recovered the cushions.  I took the completely lazy way out and hardly sewed a stitch on the cushions.  I found two clearance shower curtains at Target for $13 each.  (No way you could buy that much indoor outdoor fabric at a fabric store for that price.)  They were actually the right width but not the right length to cover the foam.  So I trimmed the extra length out of the middle of the curtains, keeping both hemmed ends.  I cut about 2 inches in from one hemmed in when I cut the extra out which gave me two pieces of fabric, a large piece with the buttonholes for the shower curtain and a small strip with a hem.  Those two pieces would then be joined back together with a seam and I used bias tape to make no sew ties which I inserted into the seam.  After sewing, I wrapped the rejoined fabric around the foam, tying the ties through the button holes to secure.  I then folded the ends over like a present and used safety pins to secure the folds.  That is all on the backside of the cushions and not something anyone is going to see so I was perfect happy to not sew it but instead pin it.  I think it took maybe 30 minutes.  However, my kids were around so really a 30 minute project takes more like an hour.   (And I was dreading doing it so I got one cushion covered and then stopped.  It has taken me all summer to finish the second cushion.)  It's a cute addition to our front porch and the fabric matches the new glider I put in by the glider.

Before-halfway done with the old striped cushion

All done

New glider-can't wait until the landscaping actually comes in.  There's a purple butterfly bush and iris behind the glider and an oakleaf hydrangea on the right side.

And a few shameless garden pics...because the garden actually looks pretty good right now.  Other than some funky fungus (?) issue with my zucchini and cucumbers that I'm hoping I've got fixed.


No comments: